The Lily of the Valley is the Birth Flower of the month of May and to commemorate these beautiful and unique flowers, we have made a list of fun facts about the Lily of the Valley and Lilies for you to enjoy.
Did you know?
- The Lily of the Valley is thought to have medicinal benefits like enhancing memory or improving speech.
- The Lily of the Valley is one of the most poisonous plants and can cause severe illness and even paralyses when ingested.
- The Lily of the Valley is considered to be the good luck flower of May and signifies a return to happiness marked by a legend of a nightingale that does not return until May when the flower blooms.
- Lilies are toxic to cats if ingested, so keep your cute felines away from these flowers.
- In China, some species are enjoyed as a delicacy or eaten as health food.
- White lilies are commonly used in funeral flower arrangements because they symbolize purity, innocence and virtue.
- Lilies are more than just a home decor staple or a lovely gift to a loved one. The oil found in Lilies also have healing and moisturizing qualities and is found in massage oils, hair oils and works great for softening dry and cracked skin.
- Most white Lily flowers are scented. The coloured ones, however, have no smell to them. The Tiger Lily is an exception because it has a very sweet scent.
- The Tiger Lily symbolises wealth and majesty.
- Lilies have a very long vase life. If you want the lilies to stay fresh longer and keep them beautiful at all times, you should remove the excess pollen found in these flowers by using something soft, like a toothbrush.
Well, there you have it. Fun and interesting facts about Lilies. If you were thinking about sending flowers to a loved one, why don’t you consider buying Lilies online? Take a look at the range of Lily Flowers available at NetFlorist, by clicking here.