Today we are making all our readers aware of beer, its benefits, its facts and hidden treasures! Tomorrow is, after all, National Beer Day (7 April) so it seemed only fitting. Below are some of the interesting things we found out in our quest for knowledge. We even threw in some brew-tastic recipes to try out on the day.
Did you know:
- Beer is the third most consumed drink in the world.
- According to researchers, beer contains a mineral called silica. Silica is known to add volume to hair and make it thicker and is also commonly taken as a hair and nail supplement.
- Zythology is mainly the study of beer. This also includes the study of the important roles of each beer ingredient used in the brewing process.
- The first expert and professional brewers were all women.
- Beer is surprisingly good at clearing up copper. Douse your pots or pan in a lager for five to 10 minutes and then use a cloth to remove the stains. Also, don’t bother buying expensive store-bought jewellery cleaners. Drop your rings and other trinkets into a dish of beer, then remove and polish to a beautiful sheen.
- Beer helps soften meat. It also adds a distinctive taste!
- If you’ve had a hard day at work, a cold beer isn’t just good for your spirits. Those tired, aching feet can be revived by a beer foot-bath.
- According to Andrew Lopez, a professional gardener, the fermented sugars in beer stimulates plant growth and kill fungi. He recommends spraying either homebrew or Rolling Rock (both are chemical-free) on those annoying brown spots in your lawn. (Either that or just stop peeing there.) “The grass will absorb the sugar in the beer and draw energy from it, ” Lopez explains.
Source: Men’s Health
Beer Barbecue Sauce
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced
- 1 medium banana pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 5 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup each wine vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp each Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, honey, Dijon mustard, horseradish, oregano
- 2 Tbsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- Dash of ground clove
- 12 ounces amber ale or porter
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and boil for 10 minutes. Lower heat and simmer about 4 hours until thickened. Cool and refrigerate for 24 hours so the flavours can meld. Then baste everything but the dog with it.
Bake Beer Bread thanks to JOE KITA
You already know how to put a bun in the oven. Now it’s time to go all the way. Here’s a healthful, foolproof recipe for high-fibre beer bread from the book Tailoring Your Tastes, by nutritionist Omichinski:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp each salt, dried basil, dried rosemary, thyme
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 12 oz beer, at room temperature
Mix all the dry ingredients. Add oil and beer. Stir until dough is just mixed. Put dough in a greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 375 F for 45 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from oven and let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cool some more.
Citrus Beer Cupcakes from Deschutes Brewery
- 3/4 Cup butter, softened
- 1 ¾ Cup sugar
- 2 ½ Cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 1 cup (plus more for brushing cupcakes) craft beer
- 1/2 tsp fresh orange or lemon zest
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
CITRUS BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened
- 4 Cups confectioner’s sugar or castor sugar
- 2 tsp orange or lemon zest
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 Tbs orange or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease two muffin pans or line with paper liners. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Mix in vanilla and zest of your choosing.
In a medium-size bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup Fresh Squeezed with the milk.
- Combine the flour mixture and beer mixture alternately with the butter, on low speed, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Bake cupcakes for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are still warm, use a fork to poke holes in each cupcake and brush Fresh Squeezed over the top.
- Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add sugar, zest and vanilla. Add citrus juice, one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Frost cupcakes while sippin’ on a pint of Fresh Squeezed IPA and be sure to share the cupcakes and beer with friends!
- Serves 4-6
We, of course, have the best beer inspired gifts for any occasion. So, shop Beer Day exclusives at www.netflorist.co.za
Keep calm! It’s beer o’clock! Spoil the special people in our life with a gift that is perfect for celebrating any of life’s special moments with! This 27cm square wooden crate is filled with mouth-watering treats – an assortment of biltong, Citizen Alliance Amber Ale, Citizen Alliance Czech Pilsner and a trio of delectable, melt in your mouth Lindt Lindor Truffles! Send this gift and make their day today!
Spoil someone near and dear with an extra meaningful six-pack of awesomeness! A six pack of refreshing Heineken Beer is presented in a wooden Man Crate, which can be engraved with the lucky recipient’s name. A gift like this will be enjoyed with pride, so send now!
CRAFT BEER PICNIC BASKET
What can be better than kicking back with craft beer and snacks? This Craft Beer Picnic Basket consists of a set of two plates, knives, forks, spoons, wine glasses, as well as a corkscrew and salt and pepper shakers, all secured with golden leather straps and handles.You will also find Citizen Diplomat Czech Ale (440ml), Citizen Alliance Amber Ale (440ml), Sliced Biltong (100g), Mixed Nuts (100g), and two ceramic mugs. It can be enjoyed amongst friends or family members for any occasion, so get sending!
CBC CRAFT BEER BRO BUCKET
Let a bro kick back and relax with this awesome Bro-Bucket! It’s filled with a bottle of CBC Craft Lager, as well as some snacks to go with it which include Pringles (100g), Oreo Cookies (175g), and Droewors. Send now and let the good times roll!
DESK FRIDGE WITH CASTLE LITE
Save water, drink beer on the weekend and send the lucky guy a fun and quirky gift that is something he needs and definitely something he wants. This mini fridge comes filled with delectably refreshing beer.
There’s nothing like a big mug of beer to ring in a birthday, so let a loved one do so with this beer mug with ‘Happy Birthday’ design which is also personalised for that special touch. Cheers to that! * 1 Glass only, props not included
PERSONALISED BEER PRESSURE APRON
Spoil that beer-loving guy with this poly cotton twill apron with quirky personalised ‘Beer Pressure’ design. It’s the perfect gift for any fun-loving guy who loves to cook up a storm! *Available in white, black, red, grey and denim.