This Easter 2018, we are helping you put the ‘egg’ in ‘egg-cellent’ Easter treats. These treats can be used for a family brunch, or maybe even a tea at the neighbours. We have tips, recipes and tricks to ensure a joyful occasion.
10 cake toppings to make your cake look exquisite:
- Speckled Eggs
- White chocolate shavings
- Purple buttercream
- Fondant flowers
- Berry coolie
- Oreo cookie crumbs
- Fondant chicks
- Fondant carrots
5 tips for icing your Easter cupcakes:
- Always keep your icing cool before using it on the cupcake
- Don’t use oil base instead use butter
- Mix cornstarch to thicken up your icing
- Ensure your piping bag is thick enough
- Don’t add too much icing sugar if you’re adding sweets on the top
Chocolate speckled egg brownies
- 160g dark choc (broken into pieces)
- 200g butter
- 1 ½ cups castor sugar
- 3 extra large eggs (beaten)
- ½ cup Cake Flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 300g Speckled eggs
- 40g chocolate (milk/dark/white)
- 180g miniature eggs (Speckled Eggs/chocolate eggs)
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Grease and line a high-sided, 20 cm by 30 cm baking tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and place on top of a pot of simmering water on medium heat (the water must not touch the bottom of the bowl) and stir until the chocolate and butter have melted.
- Take off the heat, add the sugar and whisk until it has mostly dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled down a little (it should be lukewarm), you can add the beaten eggs and beat well to combine.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the chocolate mixture. Mix together until there are no visible lumps.
- Add half of the Speckled Eggs and gently fold through.
- Pour into the lined baking tray and scatter over the remaining Speckled Eggs.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes – you want the brownie to be cooked, but still gooey – so the surface and edges should be firm, but the centre should still be slightly gooey when you insert a knife into it.
- Allow it to cool completely in the baking tin before removing and peeling off the baking paper.
- Cut into squares.
- Melt the chocolate and use it to stick the miniature eggs to the brownies.